Cameo Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Discussion

+10
curius
Mr Allen J
Glict
Canis_Dirus
Valnarian
Prussian
Akira
Sairei
StoneWall
Tarragon
14 posters

Page 3 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Go down

General Discussion - Page 3 Empty Re: General Discussion

Post by Tarragon Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:05 pm

I guess we'd have to do that. Power differences might not matter, so long as people really balance things out. I could just be worrying excessively. I have to remind myself that the last time I was in a crossover, nobody was really 'experienced', and we didn't pick characters that were really well-written to begin with. If they weren't OP just by design, they were really two-dimensional with little actual personality on the emotional side of the story.

The end result was people going AWOL constantly, and then the flat moody-depressed characters trying to murder Sherlock Holmes incarnate because he was making deductions from info he didn't have.

Well, that, and the plot was lousy, too. I think everyone just got so annoyed they quit posting.
Tarragon
Tarragon
Lead Administrator

https://cameo.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Valnarian Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:40 pm

@Terragon Are these races you've been discussing all this time meant to be for this portal RP?
Valnarian
Valnarian
Knight of Valnar

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarragon Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:09 pm

No, they're for whatever space-faring RP pops up in the future. People are still formulating ideas for theirs, but I've always had ideas where I could never use them.

....if everyone likes, though, I can probably use them for the portal RP, and still get away with it just because it can be RP-exclusive characters. Space-faring doesn't always entail that your character can pilot a spaceship, or even visits other worlds. You could still have some country farmer out there, or the kid that's still in school.

I think I'm leaning towards Honey and Scylla, though, for that RP.
Tarragon
Tarragon
Lead Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Canis_Dirus Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:29 pm

If characters with power/magic are going to be used for the portal RP or another RP, then I am definitely interested.

Tarragon wrote:if everyone likes, though, I can probably use them for the portal RP, and still get away with it just because it can be RP-exclusive characters. Space-faring doesn't always entail that your character can pilot a spaceship, or even visits other worlds. You could still have some country farmer out there, or the kid that's still in school.

But didn't you say that you didn't want spacefaring to be a part of it at all? If we go to a planet with spacefaring technology, it's there and if they are a spacefaring civilization it becomes very easy to get access to spaceflight.
Canis_Dirus
Canis_Dirus
Dark Lord of the Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarragon Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:07 am

Good point.

I'll probably just stick with the original plan of using Honey and Scylla, then. I can do a lot with the two characters, and it's probably better that I don't exceed that number anyway, just for the sake of ensuring good development.
Tarragon
Tarragon
Lead Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Valnarian Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:36 pm

Personally, I'm more interested in space-faring RPs. Like I said, I have in fact four races that I have in mind. Unfortunately, I haven't had time to draw or get a sheet for them yet.
Valnarian
Valnarian
Knight of Valnar

Back to top Go down

Post by Canis_Dirus Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:42 pm

Perhaps we should work out the setting for doing the spacefaring civ RPs in?

Such as establish a galaxy (or group of them if we're feeling ambitious), basic ideas for how the factions in it get there, and any mechanics needed.
Because that's my main interest RP-wise.
In fact, I'll spearhead the action if that's alright with the Wall of Stone and Tarragon

(Although playing in a multiverse or something like the portal RP idea with a character with powers is a somewhat close second)
Canis_Dirus
Canis_Dirus
Dark Lord of the Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneWall Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:41 pm

Canis_Dirus wrote:Perhaps we should work out the setting for doing the spacefaring civ RPs in?

Such as establish a galaxy (or group of them if we're feeling ambitious), basic ideas for how the factions in it get there, and any mechanics needed.
Because that's my main interest RP-wise.
In fact, I'll spearhead the action if that's alright with the Wall of Stone and Tarragon

(Although playing in a multiverse or something like the portal RP idea with a character with powers is a somewhat close second)

It sounds okay to me, as long as you don't mind either of us stepping in and potentially making changes. arbitrary or otherwise.
StoneWall
StoneWall
Hydrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Canis_Dirus Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:05 pm

I mind immenselly xD (okay not really)

Alright I'll get started on that

EDIT:

If one of the admins could either unlock the RP Source Material section or at least allow mods to post there, that'd be helpful....
Canis_Dirus
Canis_Dirus
Dark Lord of the Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarragon Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:24 pm

Alright, got it fixed. The Source Material section should now be unlocked.
Tarragon
Tarragon
Lead Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Prussian Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:58 pm

Not sure if I'll join the space RP, but I'll keep an eye on it! Mostly dedicated to Vipes' RP (which if we won't meet in the chat, we could wrap things up in PMs if you'don't like) and this multiverse RP.

...If the multiverse RP is still gonna be a thing, I'm all for it. Is there anything about this beyond speculation right now? I'd be happy to do some work on this.
Prussian
Prussian
The One and Only

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarragon Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:42 am

I'm kind of still stuck on the idea of a cafe as a hub, but as far as plot, we need some sort of concept relating to the fact that a form of evolved life is suspected of being responsible for the portals. I think I'm good at making settings for events, but sometimes I'm bad at pacing.

As for the one with the Natives, I think we need to use PM's to discuss it. Finals are close, and doing actual chats is difficult.

Also, just found out that all four of my wisdom teeth are impacted, and I'll likely spend Christmas break recovering from surgery.
Tarragon
Tarragon
Lead Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Canis_Dirus Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:13 pm

Make the people who made the portals an ascended civilization that might have temples scattered around that we could find maybe.

--

Depending on how things go, having wisdom teeth removed only takes a few days of recovery Vipera
Canis_Dirus
Canis_Dirus
Dark Lord of the Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarragon Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:19 pm

That actually sounds like a good idea, since making themselves like gods to be worshipped would be something a superior race would do. Arrogant, but not strange, since maybe they'd want to leave little clues.

Good news, the surgery is scheduled for after Christmas....yay....sort of....
Tarragon
Tarragon
Lead Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Canis_Dirus Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:28 pm

Well I mean after all once you get to a point technologically you kind of are gods anyway. Why not roll with it?
But yeah. Perhaps the temples could have some artifacts or something in them that could be used to empower a character further, but you have to survive various guardians and things in them.
That's where character powers and abilities come in.....

--

Who the heck is open on Christmas? (mutters something about commies)
Man that really sucks. But hey at least it shouldn't take long and if all goes well you'll be fine in a few days.
Canis_Dirus
Canis_Dirus
Dark Lord of the Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by Valnarian Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:28 pm

I have sort of an idea for this, if I end up participating. What if one of the places reached via portal was under the thumb of some dictator who would like to spread his influence even further via portals, and even attempts to either bring warpers under his sway, and/or create more of them, only under his control?
Valnarian
Valnarian
Knight of Valnar

Back to top Go down

Post by Prussian Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:13 pm

There'd be a ton of people who'd want to take advantage of these portals, so we won't be any lack of conflict.

With that in mind, maybe there'd be a sort of Guardians of the Galaxy-type scenario, where all of the protagonists are forced to band together out of necessity? There might not even be a way back home from where they are now, so they have to adapt to survive.
Prussian
Prussian
The One and Only

Back to top Go down

Post by Canis_Dirus Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:17 pm

That sounds about right.

Although if anyone tries to pull any stupid dancing cassette tape stuff they'll be my first target......
Canis_Dirus
Canis_Dirus
Dark Lord of the Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarragon Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:37 pm

The first thing I saw was the comment about the cassette tape, and I died laughing before scrolling up to see what it was about. I just saw they were making a second movie with little toddler-Groot.

The only major problem I can see is that portals, if there are any permanent ones that always lead to one specific place, would be in those temples Canis mentioned, thus the capacity to send an army would be limited (Not that you can't destroy ancient landmarks to make more room for a mass-scale invasion. Just saying you'd have to do some renovations). Otherwise, they'd be too irregular to be of any use for an invasion. People might try to mess with them, but I think if they actually discovered how the portals are made, or what makes warpers unique, that would kill the mystery that we'd consider central to the RP.

Of course, a dictator trying to achieve multi-world domination would most likely not care, send people over, regardless of where they might end up, and perform brainwashing and cruel experiments that get people killed.

At any rate, I like the dictator idea, but there needs to be an emotional connection existing between characters before the invasion or attacking army comes. If warpers can pass through any portal, you'd have to convince someone that they're better off staying and fighting, rather than just going through whatever portal they see to get away, because that can still be a viable option. If there's a bunch of worlds, it's going to be difficult to easily invade them unless you have a permanent way of getting there. Someone could always adopt the mentality that they can just flee if the dictator ever appears, so you need to somehow prevent them from thinking that's a good option...or at least, something they'd be satisfied with doing.
Tarragon
Tarragon
Lead Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Canis_Dirus Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:27 am

As if the first movie wasn't dumb enough...

--

See the great thing is, if the civilization that made them is advanced enough to make all these interstellar and possibly interdimensional portals, then the tech is pretty much magic. Or perhaps the civilization used magic to make them.
And even if they're not in the temples (I was envisioning the smaller ones would not be, but some big ones could be), only certain people as you said could use them, so forget sending armies through. Operatives and special teams yes, large amounts of troops no way.

Because of these limitations, in areas of modern tech and such, the portals would probably be under government quarantine for study more so than used for invasions.

This is where our characters come in. They could be operatives from one of the governments, or a rogue powerful being, or a mercenary that happens to be able to use the portals and got access somehow.
Canis_Dirus
Canis_Dirus
Dark Lord of the Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneWall Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:55 pm

My new favorite video.

StoneWall
StoneWall
Hydrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Prussian Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:45 pm

@Canis and Terragon: I'm not totally on board with the idea of the characters already knowing each other, but I'll admit that it makes sense, with them going straight to the plot instead of spending extra time just becoming comfortable with one another.

Should/could our characters be from different universes at all, or would you say that would throw a wrench in things?

@StoneWall: Nintendo is in on the poultry industry confirmed

@Prussian: This isn't 2010, people don't use @ in normal conversations anymore. Or do they!?
Prussian
Prussian
The One and Only

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarragon Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:03 pm

@Prussian: Of course we still use the @ symbol.

Also, I didn't mean that our characters would know each other before the RP even starts, when people try to do things that way it tends to create more issues than not, because we have people acting like their characters have an established relationship when they don't. I mean we should have a brief period where everyone gets their bearings when the RP first starts, for the ones that happen to just get stranded and don't know what just happened. Basically introductions, who I like/dislike from first impressions. That's all I was really getting at.

As for characters knowing each other, the idea behind different universes is so we can bring all our favorites into one place, but I don't think that means you have to always make crossover-types. You can probably make new 'warpers' from worlds that have more portals. That might be good anyway, since a mix of experienced 'warpers' would probably be a real help for the confused new guys.

That is to say, villains and a handful of characters might be operatives, but if we made all of our characters operatives, that completely defeats the purpose of the crossover aspect. We could say that they get snapped up by whatever government and forced into the role, though.

That's totally a valid thing.

For all we know, there's a secret network of negotiations between worlds, and it's a confusing mess and these people are nice just because they're merciful enough to only use the warpers as messengers, and not just go and try to study them.

....Also, working on sleep-deprivation and mental exhaustion, I've spent hours programming for a final for the past few days, and I am so tired. I just want to re-paint my old, ugly ceramic birdhouse that I painted at the age of ten so it matches with my room, and sleep.
Tarragon
Tarragon
Lead Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Canis_Dirus Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:06 pm

I think VIpera pretty much covered what I was going to say (curse you fast posters xD)

As for the @, usually on forums you have quoting for that sort of thing. The @ is more for something like skype or something where you can't quote things as easily. However it's still valid
Canis_Dirus
Canis_Dirus
Dark Lord of the Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by Prussian Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:55 pm

I guess we do have quoting, but yeah, I'll still use @ for the a e s t h e t i c s

Yeah, I'll probably make some new characters for this RP.
Prussian
Prussian
The One and Only

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum