Cameo Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Discussion

+10
curius
Mr Allen J
Glict
Canis_Dirus
Valnarian
Prussian
Akira
Sairei
StoneWall
Tarragon
14 posters

Page 10 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next

Go down

General Discussion - Page 10 Empty Re: General Discussion

Post by Valnarian Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:12 pm

Sorry about your dog, Terragon. I know what it's like to lose a pet.
Valnarian
Valnarian
Knight of Valnar

Back to top Go down

Post by Glict Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:51 pm

Speaking of losing pets, my neighbor killed my cat when I was 12.
Glict
Glict
That One Bowl of Cornflakes

Back to top Go down

Post by Canis_Dirus Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:58 pm

When I was in ninth grade, we had to put my dog Cindy down, as she was 13 or 14, going blind and having skin and bladder problems. I do miss her
Canis_Dirus
Canis_Dirus
Dark Lord of the Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarragon Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:05 pm

Well, Corbin was getting old, but the reason it was so bad was just that the way it happened was so fast. I'd found him on the sofa while I was at home alone Monday evening, and by Tuesday morning, my parents decided to put him down because he'd gone downhill that fast. I didn't actually know until that afternoon, because if I was upset, it could have impaired my driving and I might have gotten into an accident. My parents waited until they got home. My parents used to say that they wanted it to be quick because our last dog gradually developed dementia and it was a slow decline, but in the end, this was horrible in a different sense.

Really, there isn't a true, perfect way for your pets to pass away. You could have an animal die because of some accident, act of malice, or acute illness, or you can just sit there and watch them slowly forget where they even are, and look at you as though they don't remember you, while losing the functions of their bowels and their nerves. Either way, it's a horrible feeling, and maybe you think your pet passing away in their sleep is good, you won't have to make the decision to euthanize them, but think about how it feels when an animal dies in that room, if it's a good feeling remembering finding them dead there, or seeing them die. That feeling probably isn't any better.

At any rate, we're on a six-month rule now. No replacement pets, if we want something after six months, we might get another dog, but there's a huge 'if' given the circumstances.

Of course, knowing our history of small baby animals slipping under the fence or walking up to us in our front yard, our next pet might not be a deliberate choice.

The last baby animal to appear was, literally, I don't exaggerate, a brindle-furred female pitbull puppy with white markings. I'd heard barking outside and found a little puppy in our back yard sniffing around, after she'd slipped under a space in our fence where the boards are above the ground to keep the wood at their base from rotting. She had no chip or tags, but that time was pretty wild, because a puppy like that isn't some random stray, she was a dog that was actually worth a fortune given her coat color, and yet we could not find her owner at all. She'd been wandering around for awhile, too, so no telling how long she'd been lost.

Like I said, we have weird incidents, like last Tuesday when I saw someone's grey tabby chasing a random skunk across the street.
Tarragon
Tarragon
Lead Administrator

https://cameo.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Glict Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:24 pm

This forum's been pretty empty lately.
Glict
Glict

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneWall Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:49 am

Yeah, but I'll try to be more active soon.
StoneWall
StoneWall
Hydrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarragon Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:10 pm

*Crawls in after being battered by studying*

FINALLY! The Midterms have ENDED!
Tarragon
Tarragon
Lead Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Canis_Dirus Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:24 pm

lol midterms? it's the beginning of dead week. Catch up already xD

Anyways, waiting on people in Travellers
Canis_Dirus
Canis_Dirus
Dark Lord of the Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneWall Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:04 pm

I learned that, if someone has a medically certified phobia of seatbelts, they may be exempt from wearing a seatbelt. At least in my state.
StoneWall
StoneWall
Hydrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarragon Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:57 pm

Do not underestimate the power of close-reading papers, engineering materials, and calculus, Canis!

Also, a phobia of seatbelts is a terrible thing...
Tarragon
Tarragon
Lead Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Canis_Dirus Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:18 pm

I'm doing both engineering and calculus right now actually xD
Is this genetic engineering you're doing?
--

Well you might have a phobia of seatbelts, but do you fear death as well? Or do you fear the thought of your dependants going with out if you die and could've been saved if you'd worn one?
Canis_Dirus
Canis_Dirus
Dark Lord of the Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarragon Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:46 pm

I'm doing engineering materials, which is basically the classifications of metals, polymers, ceramics, composites, etc. and how to calculate stress, tensile strength, yield strength, etc. I'm going for Mechanical Engineering, though that's at great odds with what my hobbies are.

I'd probably be fine, were it not for all the Greek symbols tossed in, since I take a little more time than other people to figure out what they're supposed to represent. I have a teacher that goes really fast through the lessons. She literally compares the information flow of her class to waterboarding (Not making this up, that's how she described it on day one). I'm pretty fast at taking notes, and I'd be lucky to actually get everything written down before she moves on. Secondly, we ask her to slow down and it doesn't really make much of a difference. I remember the info about what materials properties are, and what they do and such, I'm blessed to have good memory in that sense, but the actual math part is where this rapid pace causes issues.

I'm not going to say I fail completely at math, I have the capacity do do everything, it's more just that it's one of my weaker subjects just because of the nature of what it is. I have to go out in my free time and look at the formulas explaining what the symbols are, or I get confused.

This in mind, I've been improving a lot in Calculus since I got a really good professor.

...As for the close-reading paper, it's a time-consuming process and that's where my efforts are getting devoted, but that's not because it's difficult. Considering RPers like us write long passages just for fun, it'd be kind of silly if I said I struggled with analyzing a text. I'm very, very good at writing essays, and a five-paragraph essay, especially with a subject I know well, can easily be done in a single day. It's all thanks to me doing this forum RPing stuff that I can say I'm as confident in my writing as I am. Regardless, though, a paper counts for a lot of points, so best to be careful with it. I think, though, RPing was overall a positive thing, because my knowledge of grammar and spelling and how language is used is really advanced, and that seems to stem directly from the standards we set in our RP's. Essays are usually the bane of a college student's existence, but because we're all constantly evolving our work, it's greatly decreased the difficulty.

Also, I was being sarcastic. I think certain phobias are truly ridiculous, but then again, the whole point of a 'phobia' is that you know for a fact the fear of something is irrational by nature. I blame people less for their phobias. More ridiculous than the phobia, though, is how people bend over backwards to accommodate those individuals, versus getting them actual treatment. It's not making their life better, it's putting their lives at risk, and you're giving them the easy way out of it.
Tarragon
Tarragon
Lead Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneWall Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:20 am

Canis_Dirus wrote:I'm doing both engineering and calculus right now actually xD
Is this genetic engineering you're doing?
--

Well you might have a phobia of seatbelts, but do you fear death as well? Or do you fear the thought of your dependants going with out if you die and could've been saved if you'd worn one?

I keep hitting "edit post" instead of "quote." Irritating.

Anyway, a more legitimate reason for a phobia of seatbelts is being unable to unfasten one's seatbelt due to broken arms. This assumes, of course, that the nearest car door has been opened/ripped off, otherwise you'd still be unable to open the car door with your broken arms.
StoneWall
StoneWall
Hydrox

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneWall Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:25 am

Does anyone think we should try to get Celo to join?
StoneWall
StoneWall
Hydrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarragon Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:52 pm

Celo is a trustworthy person, in my opinion.
Tarragon
Tarragon
Lead Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Prussian Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:52 pm

I say let her in. Celo's pretty great.
Prussian
Prussian
The One and Only

Back to top Go down

Post by Canis_Dirus Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:47 am

Stonewall wrote:Anyway, a more legitimate reason for a phobia of seatbelts is being unable to unfasten one's seatbelt due to broken arms. This assumes, of course, that the nearest car door has been opened/ripped off, otherwise you'd still be unable to open the car door with your broken arms.

Yes but at that point you start going into an infinite list of things that could happen. You could have a heart attack tomorrow, you could spontaneously combust, etc.
Point being for that person is they are more likely to be helped than harmed by the seatbelt if they wear it properly.

--

Let Celo in. Last I saw she was no friend of Edgelord Prime. I think she'll be a valuable edition to the community
Canis_Dirus
Canis_Dirus
Dark Lord of the Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneWall Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:18 pm

I have no way of contacting Celo, sooo....

There aren't any confirmed cases of spontaneous combustion, are there?
StoneWall
StoneWall
Hydrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarragon Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:54 pm

I have a Tumblr contact, but I don't know if that's the appropriate channel or not.
Tarragon
Tarragon
Lead Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Canis_Dirus Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:31 am

I'll contact her on Steam. Unsure if she will reply though as she's not that active.
Canis_Dirus
Canis_Dirus
Dark Lord of the Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by Glict Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:47 pm

I have her on dA. I could note her.
Glict
Glict

Back to top Go down

Post by Celo Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:02 am

Aw, I feel important Wink And LONG time no see for... everyone here. How's it been, and who is "Edgelord Prime"?
Celo
Celo
SpicyBootyTM

http://celotheimpossible.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneWall Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:28 pm

Celo wrote:Aw, I feel important Wink And LONG time no see for... everyone here. How's it been, and who is "Edgelord Prime"?

Expect a PM to fill you in on things.
StoneWall
StoneWall
Hydrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarragon Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:12 pm

We've been good. Currently blaming each other for lack of motivation to post/laziness, and then discussing the controversy behind whether or not it's a good idea to let people with a phobia of seatbelts refuse to wear one.
Tarragon
Tarragon
Lead Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Celo Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:49 pm

So the same old things, hm? I will probably be lacking in motivation to post much for any sort of rp until next week, btw - I am in three reading classes this semester and it's killing me. This semester alone I've read over 500 pages of poetry, 13 books, and idk how many short stories.
I pondered the seatbelt statement way longer than I should have, btw
Celo
Celo
SpicyBootyTM

http://celotheimpossible.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum: