Cameo Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Discussion

+10
curius
Mr Allen J
Glict
Canis_Dirus
Valnarian
Prussian
Akira
Sairei
StoneWall
Tarragon
14 posters

Page 4 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Go down

General Discussion - Page 4 Empty Re: General Discussion

Post by Canis_Dirus Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:47 pm

Aesthetics? Psh who does that these days. Some people here haven't even bothered with an avatar picture.....

--

Yeah I have a new character idea for this RP, which I think will be interesting (if and when things get off the ground that is)

--

Also I encourage people to post in the spacefaring RP OOC. Unless of course you agree completely with my ideas which is perfectly acceptable Wink
Canis_Dirus
Canis_Dirus
Dark Lord of the Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarragon Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:31 pm

Well, finally got the programming thing done. Quite nice, given that I was spending ten hours a day on it, just about.

At any rate, finals are going on right now on my end. I'm a bit busy with those. When they're done I should have more time.
Tarragon
Tarragon
Lead Administrator

https://cameo.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Valnarian Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:36 pm

I will certainly be participating in any spacefaring RP that comes up. I have races and back story lined up, but haven't gotten around to writing a sheet or anything.
Valnarian
Valnarian
Knight of Valnar

Back to top Go down

Post by Canis_Dirus Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:03 pm

Tarragon wrote:Well, finally got the programming thing done. Quite nice, given that I was spending ten hours a day on it, just about.

At any rate, finals are going on right now on my end. I'm a bit busy with those. When they're done I should have more time.

It's news like this that make me a little worried for my C++ class next quarter....
Also what is with everyone and not being done with finals yet. Mine were last week.

Valnarian wrote:I will certainly be participating in any spacefaring RP that comes up. I have races and back story lined up, but haven't gotten around to writing a sheet or anything.

That's fine. What we are doing right now though is getting the setting set up for it. There is an OOC chat going in the RP section, please go check it out and comment any ideas you have.

I mean if everyone is cool with my ideas we can go with them, otherwise contribute please
Canis_Dirus
Canis_Dirus
Dark Lord of the Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarragon Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:36 pm

C++ and Matlab supposedly get used on an interchangeable level, though there's a few key differences. I don't know about the former, but the latter has advantages in that you can use a loosely-written software, so you can change variables and such where you wouldn't be able to normally. It can write programs quickly, too, but you can expect that it doesn't always store data as efficiently as you'd like, and it might run slower.

That in mind, if you haven't learned coding yet, it's good to go onto a trusted website (like the guides written by MathWorks for Matlab) to do research on things like commands. You have to be careful even if it's just an educational thing, since programmers tend to be bullies towards each other a great deal. I can also help out on certain stuff if you need it, because there's several things I'm good at. I'm no genius at coding, though, and what works for Matlab might not always work for C++.

At any rate, what I don't understand is that for the final, even though we've been given every opportunity to do well on it, there's people who signed up to present during my own time and didn't show up. The thing is, there's a limited number of presentation times, and each only allows up to 25 people. If you miss out, sorry, too bad, that's a loss of up to 20% of your final grade. It's not even like this system is unreasonable, in fact, it's giving much more flexibility than what other professors would actually allow. Also, the project itself, code-wise, doesn't have to be turned in until midnight today. Even if you weren't finished, the professor wasn't going to penalize you for it. Despite this, a lot of people didn't come, maybe because they were embarrassed to present a half-finished project, and were counting on having another chance, or because they didn't care. Either way, I presented even though I wasn't finished until the day after, and another person presented even though she was so scared to speak in front of a crowd that she started freezing up.

Either way, if as many people who skipped my own slot skipped other classes, a good number of people are getting zeros.

So, programming aside, I don't know if I want to really contribute much for the rules of the RP. The most I know is that even if there's a chance to 'send' stuff from the old club over to this RP, my old races will not be making their debut in it. I came to this forum resigned to abandon them, even though I poured a lot of effort into their designs. Mostly because I feel like, as pretty as they are, I can do better, and I'd rather start from scratch with new lore, entirely.

Given the opportunity, though, if there aren't objections, I'd like to still use my horror-based monstrosities, since I never got to do a plot with them, and out of all my stuff in the old club, these alone were worth keeping, in my opinion, because they were built with a story and lore in mind from the beginning. Not just a vague concept.

The names, though, will get changed for the sake of being different. The planet-sized leader will change to Haag'znit (Hogs-nit), and the creatures themselves will become Olmnarik (olm-nar-ick). This is because Haag'znit is in the current story galaxy, and the names of the Olmnarik reflect that the species has varying names based on what galaxy they are in. The cult worshipping will be a group of Duo Calcarata. I might not even leave the designs the same, though, because I feel like I could do something even more incredible than what the old ones are now.

...Of course, this is only if people are okay with that, but please note, these guys can't be the main 'bad guy' race. They don't spread very fast, they're more for emotional plots that focus on small groups of characters like a stereotypical story by H.P. Lovecraft in a space-faring RP. I never got to develop them at all in the old club, because I was constantly being forced to change things, everything from the old master's gender from female to male, and then just plain getting harassed. I don't usually make 'villian' characters or races, but these guys were really worth the effort, I think.
Tarragon
Tarragon
Lead Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Prussian Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:47 am

I doubt it could throw off the RP too much. If we're going with the "infinite universes" idea then your race could be "big," but also not completely take over the entire story. You're probably fine.
Prussian
Prussian
The One and Only

Back to top Go down

Post by Canis_Dirus Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:52 am

@Tarragon

Your final sounds bad Sad lo siento

--

I don't really have any objections to people porting things over. In fact my goal is for people to have increased options for what they want to submit and use for a faction. As long as it's not a cheap rip of something you're good (although a planet sized leader? Vipera have you ever heard of the square-cube rule? It's important in biology...).
In accordance with said increased freedom, it might be valuable to realize that as long as a faction/race fits the rules, it should be less about other people liking the idea and more about the author developing them in the RP with whoever is GMing.

As for a dedicated bad guy faction, we probably won't need one for a bit, since RP can be had doing first contact and exploration RPs.
Later on when one is needed I might be able to provide something though.
Canis_Dirus
Canis_Dirus
Dark Lord of the Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarragon Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:27 am

Well, I'm glad to know there aren't any objections to it.

As for the planet-sized part, that's probably the craziest thing I've ever really done, not that my ideas don't tend to be far-fetched, though at least I search for some sort of logic, there isn't one to justify Haag'znit's size. I figure, though, because she is immobile in space, it's more the impact of the concept, rather than what she can really do. Her body is also blind, deaf, and mute, so she communicates through her creatures.

As for finals, programming was very stressful, but that makes it all the more satisfying when you get the program to work.

Also, for now, I've sorted out my plants. Sometimes I'll grab things, but long-term, don't feel satisfied with them, even if they're growing and healthy. Sometimes it's because the plant didn't grow fast, or because it's not one I wanted but kept because it was a cutting that needed to be established. I've managed to salvage one and change my mind because it was an orchid that I'd mounted to a stick with floral wire. It doesn't have a blooming size yet, but it attached itself and looked really pretty even without blooms once the wire came off. I was able to hang the branch by the window, so I've managed to keep it but not have it take up the original spot.

My mother took the other two I got rid of. One was a high-light orchid, the other was this plant she'd wanted my help in establishing.

So...in total, I now have three spots that I can put new plants in. I'm thinking a white Christmas cactus for one spot, the others I'm undecided.

EDIT: Browsing through Spotify, I just found an artist that seems like gold for space-faring RP themes. It's 'NINJA TRACKS' all caps. Sounds like really, really awesome music scores.
Tarragon
Tarragon
Lead Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Valnarian Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:23 pm

As for dedicated bad guys races, I have two in mind, one the main bad guys, and the other their lackeys. Stay tuned.
Valnarian
Valnarian
Knight of Valnar

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneWall Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:49 pm

I just saw Rogue One!

Also, what if there were a character or characters, good or bad, who have the power to bind worlds/dimensions together, so that they come in contact with one another if events on each world, probably bad, align somehow?
StoneWall
StoneWall
Hydrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarragon Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:34 pm

Which RP? If you mean for the crossover idea, I had this really crazy concept that there were tiny 'pocket realms' where they basically just encompass a small, average-looking location where you can try to leave, but somehow loop back to the same area no matter what direction you go in. Then, each little realm has a specific ruler of these tiny, isolated areas, who are said to 'form' the locations, and have an awareness of the other worlds on some level, because these little realms are where multiple worlds 'overlap' somehow.

....I don't know about how anyone would feel regarding this idea, but while I think trying to crash two realms together would be a nightmarish, catastrophic event (Perhaps our characters try to prevent that from happening but it's possible?), I also had the idea that sometimes, when they go through portals, they pass through the little pocket worlds (Not always, but sometimes) and they get little tips and bits of advice from the residents of those realms, like what's happening in the world they just left, and what they're getting into when they pass through their pocket realm, almost like it's a bridging spot.

Of course, if we still go the route of aliens, we'd have to say the pocket realms, being like tunnels, have always existed. Sometimes they're so tiny you just pass straight through them, other times it's a small, isolated world with a single being that naturally inhabits that space. The beings, though, while helpful, won't really know why the portals exist, either, but they might be good for slowly revealing information, like seeing strange people or things. Maybe we can use this as a means of our characters tracking down their enemies or important activities.

Though, for this to work, we'd have to say the inhabitants of the pocket realms are like ghosts. They're not something that can be harmed in any way, and they're not something that is bound by the passage of time. They might give good advice, though.

This advice entailing that they don't discriminate, and will help anyone who asks unless you decide to show a display of hostility (Can't die, but if you try to threaten them they might still be offended), so enemies will also gain advantages if they keep a positive relationship with certain spirits.

I just figure, it might be nice if when you pass through portals, it's not always charging in blindly. Like, if you were going to show up inside of a well-guarded king's courtyard, it would be nice to know you needed to be prepared to run whenever you passed through.
Tarragon
Tarragon
Lead Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Canis_Dirus Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:02 am

@Muro de Piedra: I saw Rogue one yesterday. It was excellent. I loved especially some of the scenes with the Death Star and with Vader

@dasnakegirl:

I'm fine with the mini pocket dimension idea thing. Although it would be nice to have them as kind of a random event. If we use those however, I think the portals should be magical or something in nature rather than an alien race building the portals. Otherwise the two themes seem to clash a bit.

Perhaps the ultimate showdown of the RP (or one of them) might involve a powerful god or something trying to crash the realms together and we stop him (this sounds like higher level D&D xD)
Canis_Dirus
Canis_Dirus
Dark Lord of the Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by Valnarian Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:11 pm

Just a little bit of news: The initial draft of a book I am working on is finished. Now there's just the editing and refining. Feel free to shower me with adulation.
Valnarian
Valnarian
Knight of Valnar

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarragon Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:20 pm

The nice thing about the RP is that depending on the world, magic might or might not exist on it. Therefore, while some stuff can't be properly explained because it's magic, it can still occasionally overlap with scientifically-driven worlds.

I had the idea that scientists studying the portals individually in some worlds are almost like alchemists, so while they're like an early form of science, it's also overlapping with mystical properties. In my eyes the line between sci-fi and magic is somewhat blurred, but that's half the fun of it.

Hence 'gods' technically exist, since the rulers of little pocket realms are the 'gods' of those realms...not that they're really powerful, they're just somehow there, and apparently the area was created to suit the being. There are also worlds with active gods, since there's mystical RP's where we invent our own divine characters that control the plot (nobody bring gods into the story, though, this is just an example). This kind of overlaps in pure logic stories where there is always a scientific explanation.

Where I got the idea for pocket realms is that we used to do these little RP's where the actual forum RPers had character counterparts, but because we like to show off a lot (because it's you, in story form) we tend to let things get out of hand where we want to make things too much in favor of our own guys, to the point that in my own RP's I constantly got questions about magical items and such being given to characters, even though that was strictly written as against the rules in the opening post. Because of this, I figure, if you want to get away with a bit of self-insertion into stories, why not your character be the 'spirit' existing in these pocket realms, since some of the worlds are our own creation, and maybe you want to give characters little 'tips' about what they're getting into when they jump through a random portal and are fortunate enough to find one of these little corridors instead of just passing right into another world?

I figure, this will allow you to have a bit of your own presence in the story by making a character of sorts that's meant to represent you (Since self-insertion is fun) but since these beings in the corridors only exist there, and never leave, and can only provide advice, it's just the scenery for the corridor that you make, and then the tiny bits of advice you provide, like where the portals lead, and what's on the other side, or who else passed through before they did.

The strings attached, if we did this, we can't 'give' the characters items. They can't take or leave anything they brought with them in the pocket realm, and whatever advice given must be vague, or very, very minor. Also, the phantom thing. Corridor spirits can't harm or be hurt.

As for scenery, the area of corridors is usually very small. Picture a small forest clearing, and whenever the person runs into the woods, they almost immediately find themselves popping out on the opposite side, in the same clearing. Or it's a very tiny area like an island, surrounded by water that you dare not try to swim in, because there's no other land in sight, and you can't see the bottom of the water, it's a steep drop into the oceanic abyss. Try to swim and the land you see on the horizon is the same island you just left. Anything is just looping back to where you were. The realm is really small, but it has the illusion of something much bigger.

I can't help but like the idea of a weird, creepy little world like this showing up somewhere in the story, and a single, solitary resident for each little area. It's weird but also fascinating.

Also, I've never played Dungeons and Dragons. I also did not realize that Valnarian was writing a book.
Tarragon
Tarragon
Lead Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Canis_Dirus Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:49 pm

I like this little realm idea. Sometimes though, it might be cool if hidden in the outskirts are several of the portals, sometimes not very clearly marked either. Where they lead could be thematic to the area (for the island realm, diving into the ocean deep enough might result in travelling through a portal to a water world)

These pocket dimension realms might also connect to other pocket dimensions sometimes in the same way as mentioned above. You might be walking in the woods and hit the right spot and end up in the woods of another realm or something. But it'd be hard to find because in most places you try to go into the woods and come right out on the opposite side of the clearing as mentioned.

Tarragon wrote:Also, I've never played Dungeons and Dragons.

You should try it sometime, especially 3.5 (or Pathfinder if you want the simpler version). It's quite fun

Valnarian wrote:Just a little bit of news: The initial draft of a book I am working on is finished. Now there's just the editing and refining. Feel free to shower me with adulation.

For someone who writes books, you don't say very much on here, especially in the space RP thread....
As for adulation, you'll have to show me the book first before I start bowing at your feet or anything.
Canis_Dirus
Canis_Dirus
Dark Lord of the Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarragon Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:47 am

Well, in that circumstances, we've got rare 'corridors' that are just spaces between two worlds, but then even more rare, 'branched corridors' that sometimes lead to more than one destination.
Tarragon
Tarragon
Lead Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Prussian Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:30 pm

Having family over for Christmas, so I'll be pretty inactive till after the 25th.

Cameo, what do you want for Christmas?
Prussian
Prussian
The One and Only

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarragon Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:32 pm

We still have Santa standing on top of the Christmas tree...
Tarragon
Tarragon
Lead Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Canis_Dirus Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:22 pm

I would like people to answer my questions when I post them instead of ignoring them and posting one sentence about something else Sad
Canis_Dirus
Canis_Dirus
Dark Lord of the Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarragon Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:44 pm

There was an answer given, Canis. I think your idea was very good.

At any rate, if we have all of this established, who intends to make new characters, what worlds are they from, and if you're bringing in old ones like a crossover, who are you using?
Tarragon
Tarragon
Lead Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Canis_Dirus Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:43 am

An answer was not given to the following questions:

Tarragon, could you make a sub-folder in the RP Source material section for people to post their faction sheets? That way it doesn't clutter up the main folder?

Does anyone have any suggestions for the galaxy name?

--

For the space RP, I'm using a new civilization, so there will be new characters there.

In the portals RP or any other RPs that might pop up, I'm planning on making some new characters, although if we have RPs that are appropriate for them I might bring some of my old ones back
Canis_Dirus
Canis_Dirus
Dark Lord of the Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarragon Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:02 am

Sorry, Canis, I completely forgot about adding that.

The forum has been added, I will go in and see if I can also add a description, but you should be able to post there now.

Also...galaxy names....galaxy names....

Korsyth

Qutcaran

Valkarr

I actually am not doing keyboard mashes, I'm stringing together random sounds as they appear in my mind.
Tarragon
Tarragon
Lead Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Canis_Dirus Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:52 am

Thank you!
Although can you name the section "Faction Sheets"
(since character sheets are usually posted directly in OOCs, but a faction sheet is a bit long for that and goes through multiple RPs)

--

I like Valkarr. It's canon
Canis_Dirus
Canis_Dirus
Dark Lord of the Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by Canis_Dirus Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:17 pm

Alright the space RP main page is up in the Lore section
https://cameo.forumotion.com/t9-valkarr-space-rp#132

Everyone who wants to participate read everything thoroughly and then go make your faction sheets. I want details people, none of this "incomplete I'll work on it later" garbage
(in the spirit of this my sheet is going to take awhile)
Canis_Dirus
Canis_Dirus
Dark Lord of the Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarragon Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:00 pm

As I have said before, there isn't going to be a single group that wants to have a separate thread for character sheets and such. If this forum's community happens to encompass many RP's there needs to be something anyone can use.

I also think a group with lots of characters and empires will be too big to really properly hold every single sheet in the OOC, I've seen it happen.
Tarragon
Tarragon
Lead Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum