Cameo Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Travelers (OOC)

+3
Celo
Prussian
Valnarian
7 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Travelers (OOC) - Page 4 Empty Re: Travelers (OOC)

Post by Prussian Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:44 pm

Hey, if there's any RP that could parody other RPs well, it would be Travelers.

I remember some people who would do that with their characters. Fights that were just endless stalemates because nobody wanted to lose. Characters that constantly held back the actual story because they were too edgy to cooperate with anyone. Fun times!
Prussian
Prussian
The One and Only

Back to top Go down

Post by Glict Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:48 pm

Using evil characters generally doesn't work, unless they're controlled by the GM, and only if the GM is responsible.

Oh and also, there was this one roleplay group that I used to be in. There was this one guy that would powerplay to no end and auto-hit attacks like it was nobodies business. I eventually gave up trying to reason with him, and just left the roleplay.
Glict
Glict
That One Bowl of Cornflakes

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarragon Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:34 pm

Yeah, I once RPed with two people that both had terrible tendencies of auto-ing and godmodding, and also, they would constantly abuse my characters because they were the weakest ones. Soon as our characters met, someone put a bullet into my character's hand without my consent, and later, it didn't matter what ridiculous trick I pulled (ridiculous only because I was getting desperate to give some sort of actual value to my poor, abused characters, and secondly, because everyone else did it), my character was half-dead each time, consistently hurt the entire story, and her family was completely murdered, too. All without ever asking me if that was okay.

What wound up happening, my character gave up trying to go after the people who killed her clan, because she realized that she was just being used as a pawn. This didn't just cause minor issues for those two people, though. The entire plot of the story, even though I had no mod powers or anything, was framed around my one character, and the whole RP died when I quit because I wasn't having fun (Because nobody enjoys their characters constantly being insulted and abused, especially when your character didn't even do anything to deserve that treatment in the first place). They had made the entire plot based around just abusing a single person's character, and they'd invested zero effort into anything else other than asserting how 'evil' their bad guys were, when really, it was just blatant disrespect for the people that joined.

This in mind, 'evil' characters need a motivation for their actions, and there were zero authentic reasons for why my character got shot in the hand, or why they decided to massacre her loved ones when everyone attacked in retaliation for that act of violence, other than perhaps the idea that the character outright relished treating living things in a cruel way, knowing there was nothing that anyone could do to stop him. In that story's sense though, you'd have that underestimated party that was left alive wind up more powerful than expected, kill the murderer, and then have a happy ending because she got her revenge.

Instead, the bad guy immediately revives as some sort of necromancer-lord, and leaves your character almost dead, because a genuine, authentic vampire-killing method that's supposed to work isn't good enough for this sicko, and he would still leave your guy alive because he wants to revel in your hatred.

Or something of that sort?

...these are true stories. They sound ridiculous, but it happened.
Tarragon
Tarragon
Lead Administrator

https://cameo.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Prussian Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:25 pm

I see RPing as more storywriting than playing a game. It's fun all the same - but if you treat it like a game with the idea to get your character "above" the others, you're only going to end up with a mess. Always work together with other people to make sure you get the most out of it. It's not a competition.

But I don't know, I'm pretty sure we all see it that way at this point. Which I just realized I'm very happy for.
Prussian
Prussian
The One and Only

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarragon Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:28 am

Writing stories can entail lots of events happening, sometimes the stories are tragic and sad, and sometimes, they're meant to have happy endings and make people smile. They're supposed to evoke emotion from the reader, but frustration, specifically, is bad, if it's due to the way the story was written. Although it's fine to be upset on the behalf of characters, because that means the reader can relate to them, if you're getting upset because the actual structure of the plot seems stupid (Or the character that's supposed to be the main protagonist seems so stupid you kind of hate them for it), that's just bad writing.

Of course, I say that, but there's also times when people seem to hate characters without ever really specifying why.
Tarragon
Tarragon
Lead Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Celo Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:52 am

I definitely agree, and consequently always worry that I am angering others in such ways

Though I wouldn't mind if the writing style or something made readers angry when I purposefully try to mess with them. For example, Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce evoked plenty of negative emotions because of the writing style (though the character presentation has to do with some of those emotions, as well). The book's narration improves as the character grows older and learns more, mirroring the thoughts/knowledge of the character. The very first sentence of the book is "Once upon a time and a very good time it was there was a moocow coming down along the road and this moocow that was coming down along the road met a nicens little boy named baby tuckoo..." Meanwhile, the last sentences are " Welcome, O life, I go to encounter for the millionth time the reality of experience and to forge in the smithy of my soul the uncreated conscience of my race. [...] Old father, old artificer, stand me now and ever in good stead." It's really ingenious (especially once you study the structuring and references behind those words), but literary critics of Joyce's time were ticked off by his doing this and having the narration follow a person's thoughts - he even changed subjects at random times in the same way we tend to do so.

--------------------------------------
EDIT
I just now realized that I should have asked if anyone wanted any character interaction before posting in the IC - I'm sorry!

And, one final note: I made a quick sketch of Riley
Riley :
Celo
Celo
SpicyBootyTM

http://celotheimpossible.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Canis_Dirus Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:47 pm

So Vipera, do you happen to like Beauty and the Beast much?....
Canis_Dirus
Canis_Dirus
Dark Lord of the Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by Celo Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:47 pm

I stopped debating it and finally decided to add Lexy; we need some sunshine in the rp ;v; I will probably wait for her post in order to allow for a better character introduction and also to let things slow down some
Celo
Celo
SpicyBootyTM

Back to top Go down

Post by Canis_Dirus Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:49 pm

We have so many characters already, can we not introduce more characters for a while?
Canis_Dirus
Canis_Dirus
Dark Lord of the Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by Celo Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:50 pm

as I said, I am going to wait (I need to find a way to get Riley to have more character interaction, anyway :/ )
Celo
Celo
SpicyBootyTM

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarragon Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:01 pm

Vipera before she got Ninja'd:

Now wouldn't be an ideal time to introduce characters, even if you have them. There is still Central, where your characters are just 'there' because they came from different hotspots we didn't see. Keep in mind, though, this is only Celo's second character, so there's no reason for me to deny it.

At any rate, I hope people who already have a large number of characters (around 3 or more) are settling with what they currently have. If someone who hasn't joined the RP yet submits a character, that's fine, but we're getting to the point that it's going to start getting confusing. If you've already got three characters, no more unless someone dies or leaves at the end of a plot to stay in a world (because that's a non-lethal way to remove characters from plots). I'm not going to approve your character after this point if you've got more than that cap. I don't like character caps, but currently, there's too many ideas and we need to start limiting the main cast. I didn't expect the RP to become as popular as it did, or have so many people joining, but there needs to be a cap if there's going to be this many people participating.
Tarragon
Tarragon
Lead Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Canis_Dirus Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:27 am

Might be good to allow some character death and such like that. I'm sure some of us wouldn't mind "removing" some of the others to thin the ranks down...
Canis_Dirus
Canis_Dirus
Dark Lord of the Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by Prussian Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:24 am

I'd have to agree, assuming of course every death is done with the person who controls the player's permission.
Prussian
Prussian
The One and Only

Back to top Go down

Post by Canis_Dirus Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:13 am

Indeed, as long as the controller doesn't whine or BS their way out of it
Canis_Dirus
Canis_Dirus
Dark Lord of the Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarragon Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:42 pm

Well, then we can have a fight break out at Central (or a mass-shooting, because there's an interesting plot device there that would spice up the story), if people want to hurry up and thin out their ranks a bit and have characters they don't wish to keep, either due to shaky introductions or the perception that they don't know what to do with those characters, or aren't comfortable using them. I've been contemplating this, if people want to do so, because Central would be more fun to RP a fight in. It's an enormous building with huge rooms and high ceilings, imagine gymnasium-sized rooms, or Ikea-scale stuff. It's less cramped as a space, so there's a bit more maneuvering room, and it wouldn't be unusual in the context of what Central is, if someone snapped suddenly or began arguing.

There's also the non-violent route after that for other characters unlikely to fight willingly, which is, they simply decide to go somewhere else and leave the group, versus remaining in the main cast.

That in mind, don't force people to kill their characters if they want to keep them just because whatever character has X power, you need to get the controller's permission. It would be better to say who you want to target with which character in the OOC, and negotiate how things will go before we even get to the fight in the IC.
Tarragon
Tarragon
Lead Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Canis_Dirus Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:21 pm

I think a fight at Central sounds fun, especially with what you've described. After it concludes, some characters (who might've hidden during the battle) might also decide to leave due to not wanting to deal with the danger such as what just happened.

My OOC intention to everyone is: I will kill you all xD
(except Goose and the communist construct, they're ok)
Canis_Dirus
Canis_Dirus
Dark Lord of the Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by Celo Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:24 pm

so how long until the timeskip to Central takes place? Smile
Celo
Celo
SpicyBootyTM

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarragon Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:45 pm

Alright, I'll see if I can get the post in by tomorrow evening. Some people are coming over today and I tend to get writer's block when we have guests (I can't focus easily).
Tarragon
Tarragon
Lead Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Celo Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:49 pm

I understand that - I am the same way with literally anything. If there are people over, then I cannot draw a complete picture, finish homework, write, or anything because something will come to mind that I will suddenly really want to tell the visitors, or I am afraid of appearing rude by not socializing or something.
Celo
Celo
SpicyBootyTM

Back to top Go down

Post by Valnarian Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:05 pm

Hello, everyone. This is to let everyone know that, for my own personal reasons, I have decided to withdraw from this particular roleplay. This is a little saddening, but I have decided, for my own reasons as I said, that this is the best. Fortunately, since the RP is still in its early stages, my characters have not become involved in anything essential, and they can be removed easily. From this point, they can simply be ignored, and allowed to disappear. I will be removing them from the Character Thread soon. However, I have been thinking of starting a new RP of my own where I can bring them back, so stay tuned.
Valnarian
Valnarian
Knight of Valnar

Back to top Go down

Post by Celo Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:37 pm

Life can get p busy, at times UvU. I hope everything for you is alright, however! We'll miss you!
Celo
Celo
SpicyBootyTM

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarragon Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:45 pm

Alright, then. We'll miss you, hope things turn out!
Tarragon
Tarragon
Lead Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Valnarian Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:41 pm

Don't worry, I'm not leaving Cameo, just Travelers. I'll still be trying to do the Spacefaring RP. And I have an RP idea of my own that needs some thought.
Valnarian
Valnarian
Knight of Valnar

Back to top Go down

Post by Glict Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:29 pm

Sorry if this question is stupid. Are we allowed to get off the bus now?
Glict
Glict
That One Bowl of Cornflakes

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarragon Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:36 pm

Yes, everyone is allowed off of the bus. The inside of Central is like an enormous room, and you have free lease to make any kind of NPC you want to run into. Just picture a gigantic IKEA-sized room with white tiles and white-block walls. There's flags hanging from the ceiling that belong to countries people don't recognize. It's a little like an airport inside.
Tarragon
Tarragon
Lead Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next